This site is north of Hwy 20 & 81 just before Phillips Drive. The area is farmed today and has been since the camp was created there for part of General Wheelerâ€™s advanced guard of men the night General Hood camped in and around the township of McDonough. Over the years several items had been found here from the Civil War. The area was examined for four days in 1980. There were metal detection devices and screening methods used.
All items had been stirred around from farming. All items labeled and packet for shipment. The analysis shows this site likely was a CS camp of a detachment of General Wheeler who was camped west of the heart of the town of McDonough. Wheeler was camped just off the square in a NE to SW formation. This field research was important to historical research of the area.
References: 1. The Cavalry Operations, Nye, 1941. 2. O.R. Records, Washington D.C. 3. Official Civil War Atlas.
Update on this site: The area today is home to a very large Apartment Complex built in the 1990â€™s. The site is lost forever.