Judge A.G. Harris 1847-1943 Co. B 2nd Batta. Reg. Ga. Res. Cobb' s Division Entered Jan. 20, 1864 discharged May 1865 by Capt. W.H. Humphrey.
Absalom G. Harris was born in Meriwether Co. Georgia in 1847, and moved to Henry County at the age of six. Mr. Harris served the CSA well and after the war he was inspirational in developing and founding Flippen as the railroad came to the area. A. G. Harris had the Post Office in Guess moved it to Flippen in 1886. He gave the land to build the Flippen Methodist Church and moved the Zoar Church congregation to Flippen. Mr. Harris studied medicine at first but became one the leading citizens of this County as the Ordinary Judge of Henry Co. He would be inspirational in the development of other areas of the County. He had a "tent" at Shingleroof Campground. He particpaed in the Civil War Reunions and received the Southern Cross of Honor. He would serve as the department commander of the Georgia division of the United Confederate Veterans. In 1938, he was chosen to represent the Confederacy at Gettysburg, PA. at the unveiling of the monument. This good gentleman who wold do so much for his community passed away on March 1, 1943. The last of the Henry Co. veterans of the Civil War. He would pass into the annals of history knowing his beloved Henry Co. was doing well. He was laid to rest at the Flippen Methodist Church Cemetery on Jodeco Road.
1. The Mother of Countiesk, Mrs. Rainer, 1971. 2. The History of Henry County, 1921
*An idea from the staff at the CRG and B&M Civil War Research Group. It would be nice to see Jodeco Rd through the area named for Judge Harris because of all that he had done for Henry County. It would be a well deserved honor for this gentleman.*