"The March to the Sea at Locust Grove, GA."
As the Right Wing of Sherman's Army passed through Locust Grove they did damage and took
goods as they went. On November 17, 1864, they passed through and just south of town they split
up their units. Woods and Hazens Divisions of the 15th Corps
turned right to by pass Jackson and would camp near Indian Springs at Liberty Church.
Their right flank was covered by Gen. Kilpatrick's cavalry who camped on the north side of the
Towaliga River. Smith's Division followed by Mower's and Leggett's of the 17th Corps passed east
of Locust Grove to move directly into Jackson.
Emma Luckett Rose wrote that "the parish records of the Catholic Church at Locust Grove, Georgia
were sent to the Cathedral at Savanah, Georgia during Sherman's March to the Sea, and Sherman's
Army burned the church at Locust Grove, Georgia and it was never rebuilt."
Over the years the path the Union Army took along the road and the area just east of the road have
yielded artifacts found from this time. The artifacts that have been found by farmer's are those that
would have been dropped or lost along the line of march. Back in the early 1950's a pile of minie
balls were found in a farmer's field. These bullets were unfired indicating that the artifacts were likely
lost by a soldier in the march. Similar objects have been found in other areas indicating the routes of
the main body and possibly areas where foragers were active.
Locust Grove has grown into quite a place over the years. The old town has essentially remained
unchanged and the old Locust Grove Institute building is the
Municipal building for Locust Grove. The people who live in the area are a proud people with a
1. State of Georgia marker 1987.
2. Southern roots and cemeteries.
3. Personal recollections of life long residents.
4. Mother of Counties, 1971, Mrs. Rainer.