Shadnor Baptist Church, Union City
And the Civil War
The inscription on the historical marker at the Shadnor Baptist Church reveals the story of the Civil
War in the area. The marker was erected in 1958 and is marker number 060-169.
It reads: Organized in 1840 as New Hope Baptist Church; name changed to Shadnor in 1853. The
original log structure that stood a short distance N. of present one, was a prominent landmark during
the foray of Federal forces to cut the West Point R.R. in this vicinity, & the Macon R.R. at & near
Jonesboro--August 1864. On the 28th and 29th, several miles of the A.&W.P.R.R. were destroyed
as was Shadnor Baptist Church.
On August 30, & 31 the Federal armies moved E. towards Jonesboro; Howard s Army of the
Tennessee from Shadnor via Bethsaida Ch.; the 14 A.C. from Red Oak via Shoal Creek Ch.; the 4th
& 23rd from Red Oak to Rough and Ready. This marker is located on Westbrook Avenue .05 miles
north of Flat Shoals Rd on the right.
The Shadnor Baptist Church area of what became Union City was the site of the beginning of the
Battle to come at Jonesboro that would cause General John Bell Hood CSA to abandon Atlanta and
give the city to the Union forces under General William T. Sherman.
At the Shadnor Baptist Church Cemetery are buried 18 unknown Confederte soldiers and 3
unknown Union Soldiers all who died in the area in 1864. There is a special memorial located at the
front of the cemetery.
1. Find a grave.com.
2. The Georgia Historical Commission
3. Battles and leaders of the Civil War.
4. The Atlanta Campaign
5. Historic Markers Across Georgia