Civil War Veteran Buried At Flat Rock Cemetery
                                                                Flat Rock Road, Stockbridge, GA
                                                                         Researched in 2013

Flat Rock Cemetery located at the corner of Rustic Road (formerly Flat Rock Cemetery Road) and Flat
Rock Road is the site of the old Flat Rock Presbyterian Church which burned in 1917.  The church
members would split and part went to the Stockbridge Presbyterian Church and the others started a new
church on Hemphill Road being Hemphill Presbyterian Church.   At this old cemetery is the grave of Civil
War Confederate Veteran Harris Fuller.  Mr. Fuller was in Co. A Alabama Cavalry Regiment as a
Private.  He was born August 26, 1835 in the Arkansas Territory and died on July 26, 1910.  His father
was Harris Fuller, Sr. born September 14, 1798 and died on October 30, 1835 with wounds received at
the Battle of Mission Concepcion which was before the Alamo.  He had traveled there under advice from
his neighbor Davy Crockett.  Harris Fuller, Sr. married on September 5, 1822 to Martha Williams in
Granville, N.C.  She was born March 19, 1805 and died on August 28, 1872.  Her parents were Bridges
Williams and Martha Williams.  Harris Fuller, Jr. married Mehala Emma Nelson Brooks on July 28, 1874.
She was born on May 29, 1844 and died on December 5, 1924.  The minister was Rev. Joseph
Lansdale.  The marriage took place in Lawrence, Alabama.  She had been previously married to John
Kizer and she had three children by him: William, Cora, and Alonzo.  Then she had two children by Harris
Fuller, Jr.  They were: Annie and Mary.  In 1900, Harris and Emma lived in Carrollton, Georgia.
Harris Fuller’s Confederate Service showed him being in the Co. A of the 1st Alabama Cavalry as a
Private.  He entered the service in January of 1862 and fought at Shiloh, TN.  The Cavalry became part of
General Joseph Wheeler’s command of the Army of the Tennessee.  He would see action at
Murfreesboro, TN; Chickamauga, GA; and then the Dalton—Atlanta Campaign.  The 1st fought at
Decatur with heavy losses.  They would move with General Wheeler on July 28, 1864 against Union
General Kenner Garrard at Flat Rock, GA then in Henry County on the south side of the South River.  They
would be a part of General Iverson’s command to capture General Stoneman and his men northeast of
Macon, GA during the same action.  General Stoneman took it upon himself to go and free the prisoners
at Andersonville, GA, but was captured in a poorly devised plan.  Harris Fuller, Jr. would surrender with
his other cavalrymen at Salisbury, N.C. on April 26, 1865.  After Harris Fuller, Jr. and his wife Mehala
moved to Henry County, GA, their daughter Annie Fuller married Mickleberry Hinton in 1896.  They lived
east of Stockbridge on the Miller’s Mill Road (which at the time was known as the road leading to
Kelleytown) in the community named Hintontown.  Their son Harris Gaston Hinton had a son named
William “Bill” Hinton born February 28, 1927 and died March 25, 1983 at the age of 56 in Okaloosa
County, Florida in a Federal Prison there.  He owned Berry Hill Airport on Miller’s Mill Road and was also
a Henry County Commissioner.
There is a lot of history surrounding that Confederate Veteran buried on Flat Rock Road in the Flat Rock
Cemetery Mr. Harris Fuller, Jr.

References:
1. Records from Arkansas about those who traveled to the Alamo.
2. Census Records
3. History of Harris Fuller, Sr.
4. List of Civil War Soldiers from Alabama
5. Records of battles for the Co. A 1st Alabama Cavalry
6. The Atlanta Campaign
7. The Mother of Counties, Mrs. Rainer, 1971.
8. First Families of Henry County, 1993.
9. Henry Weekly Advertiser accounts.
10. Church records for the Flat Rock Presbyterian Church.